Hello everyone and welcome to “Parenting in the 21st century”! The intent of this blog is for me to share with you the readers, a perspective on raising kids during modern times.
Some of my readers are not parents and might say “I don’t have kids, want kids, or I’m just a kid myself” and to you I say don’t leave! Lol you may hear/see something that makes you go hmmm… or even have an “Aha” moment about your life or someone close to you. As for my parents, soon-to-be parents or people who see kids in their future, same applies to you.)
If you would, come with me on a journey through pop culture as we explore two similar yet different television shows, “SuperNanny” and “World’s Strictest Parents”. Some of you may not watch television, or you watch television but not these programs. There’s also some who’ve seen the show once or twice or even devout watchers who record or “tivo” it when away. Here’s the premise of each episode.
“SuperNanny” is a show in which a British nanny “expert” named Jo Frost is requested to come in and provide advice and/or solutions for parents of preschoolers and/or adolescents.She may help with establishing a household routine, and handling such potential trouble spots as discipline, dressing, ,toilet training,meals, and bedtime.
“World’s Strictest Parents” is on the other end of the spectrum. It deals with two “unruly” teens that are forced to live with a family who has “strict parents”. The new parents for the kids apply their principles and beliefs of parenting to initiate change from the teens.
Very facinating television is an understatement!
My point is there’s scientific theories developed about parenting styles and instead of parents getting their information from more reputable resources,they turn to the tv and seek tv "experts" advice on anything from parenting to health diagnosis.
I have a pre-teen daughter and boy if she’s anything like her mother was when she was growing up, God help us all! I have a long road ahead of me. Lol no, truthfully she’s a great kid and I’ve afforded her with much more opportunities than I had growing up, but believe me-I sleep with one eye open.
On the other hand, don't get me wrong-I’m not implying I had some horrible childhood in which I now require a minimum 15 hour therapy session a week. My mom did her absolute best and I indeed had a “rebellious streak” but she and I can both hold our heads high and be proud of the outcome.
In my next blog, we’ll look at two episodes from each show and discuss.
Thanks for reading! :)
Thanks for reading! :)
Your take on comparing parenting to “SuperNanny” and “World’s Strictest Parents” is an interesting idea. I used to watch “SuperNanny” all the time with my mom when I was still living at home. I’ve seen the other show a couple times and I when I did watch it I was just blown away. I think some of the show is staged, like other MTV shows, and that the parents aren’t really like that in real life.
ReplyDeleteI think TV shows, especially reality TV shows, have a great impact on children and their families. Take “Teen Mom” for example. I’m not sure what the purpose of that show is, to make teens think it’s OK to get pregnant or to show how hard it is to have a baby when you’re still a baby yourself. Clearly, I’m not a fan of “Teen Mom”. I feel like teens will see that show, get pregnant and then tell their parents, “Well Macy from ‘Teen Mom’ could do it so so can I”. Should our children be getting those kinds of ideas from TV? That being said I’m pretty interested to see where your blog goes. Other parenting topics that I am curious of your thoughts include dating; at what age is it appropriate to start and what is the largest appropriate age gap between teenage couples? I’ll be keeping up with your blog!
I really appreciated you including those of us who do not have children as being apart of the learning experience of modern parenting. I have friends who have children and I sometimes feel like an outsider. I wait for them to tell me, "You do not have kids so bug off." The only thing I would ask is that you state when the shows are on so I might watch them also. I have watched "SuperNanny" and she is something else. The kids are possessed by who knows what and she makes strides in getting them under control.
ReplyDelete@ Nikki- Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. From what you've written, I see we have a a lot in common. I too am no fan of the show "teen mom" but from the few episodes I've seen I also think they show the struggle- which is very real; but getting paid to be on tv to showcase your struggles isn't true reality. I don't know about you but I think when a camera is turned on people put on a show.
ReplyDeleteThe same applies to Supernanny. I watch and think to myself"this is not real, this is staged kids and parents..no way this is happening..etc" but the shows in general can help shape the minds of parents and children. You might even learn something.
@Agagrant2- You're in luck! I've posted clips of the show on the newest blog so be on the lookout. I'm glad you're here in the discussion. You can let us know how great or awful your friends' kids are :) lol.
ReplyDelete